Facebook which announced in April that an upgrade would be coming to its Messenger Platform, the announcement was however made during the F8 conference which included the introduction of bots. The company which is well known to improving its app also recently gave $24 million Series B funding to Andela
in a bid to help strengthen it financial.
Interestingly Messenger now has over 11,000 bots and also over 23,000 developers have signed up for their Bot Engine.
What then are these New Facebook 6 new changes to the Messaging platform??
1) Quick replies: The whole point about quick replies is to give a more guided experience for people as they interact with a bot. This will include 10 dynamic buttons that will be aligned with your recent messages so that the chat history is cleaner.
2) Ratings: This will allow you to give a star rating to a bot which is awesome for feedback for both users and developers.
3) Persistent menu: There will be now a persistent menu which will have up to 5 actions so as to eliminate the need to remember the various text commands you need to use to interact with the bot
4) Account linking: Facebook will launch a way for businesses to connect their customers’ accounts with Messenger accounts which will be an opt in option.
5) More content types: Developers will now be able to send other formats like GIFS, video, audio and other file types which will play natively in Messenger. This will lead to more interactive bots that display rich media which is awesome.
6) Developer resource: Facebook has created a “resource” for businesses and developers to get information what is happening in the platform from their engineering and product teams.
This update will no doubt bring about better bots being made for Messenger which is very important for Facebook since they are trying to utilize it as a business tool.